The Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority now has a facility that takes food and converts it to energy, removing the about 22% of the waste from the Regional Landfill.
The tipping fee for garbage in Oneida and Herkimer counties is $62 per ton, but the tipping free for Food2Energy is $40 per ton.
Acceptable materials include:
- All meat and fish (including bones)
- All fruits and vegetables
- Bakery waste, including dry goods like flour
- Cafeteria food scraps, plate scrapings
- Cereals and grains
- Coffee filters
- Dairy products
- Expired food
- Food processor byproducts
- Liquids like milk, soda or beer
- Packaged food waste
- Paper cups and plates
- Paper bags
- Paper ice cream containers (metal rim is OK)
- Paper napkins, tissues and paper towels
- Paper takeout boxes and containers
- Pet food
- Pizza boxes
- Restaurant food scraps
For more information on the program, click here.