UTICA, N.Y. – A former Rome police captain has been named the new STOP-DWI coordinator for Oneida County. Ed Stevens was appointed to the post by Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente, who says Stevens has valuable experience working in DWI and drug enforcement.
“The leadership he displayed as a captain in the Rome Police Department, and the time he has devoted to working with the youth of Oneida County, will prove to be valuable assets to our STOP-DWI Program,” said Picente.
Dave Tomidy has been serving as the interim coordinator since March. Stevens will officially take over the position on Sept. 30.
“I would like to thank County Executive Picente for appointing me STOP-DWI Coordinator,” Stevens said. “I am grateful for this opportunity, and I look forward to utilizing my three decades in law enforcement and experience working with our community youth to meet the challenges of this position.”
Stevens began his career with the Rome Police Department in 1988, spending eight years as a patrolman before being promoted to senior investigator, assigned to the Juvenile Aid Division. From there, he was promoted to sergeant in 1998, detective in 2000, detective commander in 2004 and reached the rank of captain in 2005. He also co-founded the department’s juvenile mentoring program, Cops and Jocks. He will officially retire from the department on Sept. 29.
A graduate of Holland Patent High School and Herkimer County Community College, Stevens lives in Floyd with his wife and five children. Two of his children are Rome Police officers and one is a Rome firefighter.
- Former Rome police captain named county STOP-DWI coordinator
- Oneida County STOP DWI coordinator fired following DWI-Drugs arrest
- Arrest warrant issued for former Oneida County STOP DWI coordinator
- Former Oneida County STOP DWI coordinator back in court
- Former probation director named Oneida County's interim STOP DWI coordinator following Giruzzi arrest
- Traffic stop leads to aggravated DWI charge for Rome man
- Former STOP DWI coordinator in treatment, misses court date in Utica
- Oswego County woman arrested in Rome for DWI
- Local police officers, agencies awarded by STOP-DWI Program
- Maryland man to be deported following DWI arrest in Rome