ROME – The newest exercise trend is now happening locally. Fort Rickey Discovery Zoo in Rome is holding goat yoga sessions throughout August.
Goat yoga is the latest craze that's sweeping the nation. It's yoga but not the traditional way. People at Fort Rickey got a close up look at yoga with goats.
Bianca Johnson has been doing goat yoga for about a year. She says she heard about the exercise and wanted to try it herself.
"It started out on the west coast,” Johnson said. “A woman, who had an auto-immune disease, was practicing yoga and doing yoga with her goats, and she was like ‘wow I feel really good, so I’m going to invite other people to come do this’."
Johnson says goat yoga is more therapeutic than regular yoga.
"Animals have been proven to be therapeutic for people and so the use of animals combined with the therapeutic effects of yoga just kind of mesh together."
Some people say they've tried regular yoga and goat yoga, but found goat yoga to be a more engaging experience.
"The yoga with animals is probably the most exciting for me,” yoga attendee Missy Peek said. “The sounds. The smells. How you feel about yourself. It really brings you back to feeling like a kid again."
"Everybody really taps into their child-like energy,” Johnson said. “You'll hear during the class a lot of laughter, a lot of people smiling some people just get a very nice and pure connection. Not just with themselves and the practice, but with the animals as well."
The next goat yoga event will be held at Fort Rickey Discovery Zoo on August 14th. The cost to attend is $20. Attendees must register for the event here.
- Fort Rickey Discovery Zoo holds summer goat yoga sessions
- Fort Rickey welcomes 2 new wolf pups
- New owners have big plans for Fort Rickey
- Newstalk: Universal Yoga and Massage
- Local church holds active shooter training session
- Utica Zoo Treats Dads
- Hospice Bereavement Services holds Brave Hearts event at Utica Zoo
- Boonville pair arrested after meth lab discovery
- Utica Zoo secures accreditation from Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- Mug Club: Utica Zoo Eggstravaganza