FRANKFORT, N.Y. - Residents are back in their homes after a natural gas leak was reported and capped overnight Sunday night into Monday morning.
Around 11:30 Sunday night Frankfort firefighters and National Grid employees responded to a report of a gas leak on North Frankfort Street. Fire officials on the scene tell NEWSChannel 2 that they were initially called to a house for a report of a natural gas leak. When they arrived, the building was deemed structurally unsafe and unstable. The leak was called into National Grid by a neighbor who said they smelled gas. National Grid then notified the Frankfort Fire Department about the leak and an extremely high concentration of natural gas.
Firefighters were not able to enter the building because of it's instability, so they called in another crew to assist. Frankfort Assistant Fire Chief Stan Dorozynski said the leak was confined to the basement.
Officials say 20 neighbors from seven nearby homes were evacuated. Residents were given the 'green light' to return to their homes around 5:00 a.m. Monday, after the gas was successfully turned off and the leak secured by National Grid. Crews had to dig outside of the home to get to the main gas line and cap it.
The cause of the leak may not be determined due to the unsafe status of the home.
No injuries have been reported.
- Frankfort residents back in their homes after natural gas leak
- Temporary shelter in place at The Meadows after natural gas leak
- Gas leak cancels classes at Frankfort-Schuyler Middle/High for Friday
- Oneonta homes evacuated due to high-pressure gas leak
- NY nixes natural gas pipeline expansion permit
- Evacuees allowed back into homes after West Utica propane leak
- Natural Gas Fire in Utica burns for several hours
- New York DEC fights against plan for natural gas pipeline
- Little Falls police confirm accidental gas leak caused explosion
- Frankfort home damaged after porch catches fire