Temperatures tonight are expected to stay in the upper 20s and low 30s tonight as clouds move in the area ahead of the incoming rain. The NWS has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for Northen Oneida, Lewis, Herkimer, Fulton, Montgomery, and Hamilton counties due to some freezing rain until 1PM Sunday. Precipitation looks to move in just after midnight, with temperatures above freezing for the southern most parts of the southern valley. The heaviest freezing rain looks to remain mainly to the north and east of Utica thoughout the morning..
The main question right now is when will temperatures rise high enough for us to see the transitions over to rain? Models right now are showing the majority of the freezing rain to be gone by the early afternoon as temperatures are expected to rise to around the mid 40s. Ice accumaulations in some areas could be near a quarter of an inch, causing some very slippery conditions. Winds are also expected to climb up to near 20mph in the morning. This in combination with the ice brings the suggestion of taking it slow if you do have to head out Sunday morning.
Rainfall totals for Sunday show some areas seeing around an inch or less of rain... Keeping a close eye for some minor localized flooding.
- Freezing Rain and Windy Conditions Sunday Morning
- Freezing rain, sleet, and snow on Sunday
- Freezing Rain Timeline
- Pockets of Freezing Rain Friday
- Freezing rain expected Saturday night
- Freezing Rain Possible Saturday Afternoon and Night
- Thaw and freeze, thaw and freeze
- Flash freeze Thursday night
- Freezing temperatures and your plumbing
- Cold Temps Freeze Up Batteries