UTICA, N.Y. -- Utica fire crews responded to a garbage fire at the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority on Wednesday evening.
Crews responded just before 6:30 p.m. to an outdoor garbage fire right next to the transfer station on Leland Ave.
Utica Fire Chief Scott Ingersol tells NEWSChannel 2 that the large pile of garbage that was on fire did extend into the structure but they were able to get crews inside and extinguish that part of the fire.
Crews were on scene for several hours and were assisted by Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste crews with heavy equipment.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Garbage fire outside the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority
- Jim Zecca receives NYS Solid Waste Managers Achievement Award
- Farmers markets in Oneida, Herkimer counties
- Poll site changes in Herkimer, Oneida counties
- Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES superintendent to retire in June
- Deputies investigating reported threat at Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES
- Herkimer woman accused of bringing drugs into Oneida County Jail
- List of high school graduations in Oneida, Herkimer, Otsego counties
- Reminder: Changes to polling locations in Herkimer and Oneida counties
- Meals of Hope: 50,000 meals prepared for Oneida, Herkimer counties