(November 6, 2017)
UTICA - The Central New York Chapter of the Order of the Purple Heart unveiled new bronze markers on Monday.
These markers in the Purple Heart Memorial Veterans Park in Utica honor Gold Star and Blue Star families in the greater Utica region.
The Blue Star represents all veterans who defended their nation, and the Gold Star honors families of soldiers who died in combat.
“To say we didn't forget about you, you know, we've got you in mind and we want to have everybody else think about it too every time they see a plaque,” said Kathleen Chiarmonte. “Now, the Gold Star, that's a totally different thing. Our Gold Star families have gone through so much more than anybody can even imagine and they gave the ultimate sacrifice.”
According to the Order of the Purple Heart, there are 12 Gold Star families in Oneida County.
- Gold Star, Blue Star families added to Purple Heart Memorial Veterans Park
- WWII hero's lost Purple Heart returned to his family
- Comets recognized as Purple Heart hockey club
- DiamondDawgs host Purple in the Park night
- Wear Purple #DressForSTEM Today
- Ceremony at Veterans Memorial Park in Rome
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- More for Gold Star parents in New York
- Families of fallen soldiers honored at National Gold Star Mother's Day ceremony
- NEWSTALK: Rome Vietnam Veterans Memorial