WHITESBORO, N.Y- After a long winter, golf season in Whitesboro got off to an early start. The parking lot at Hidden Valley in Whitesboro was filled as golfers broke out there clubs for the first time.
"You count the days down you start calling the golf courses to see when they're going to start opening up. We made a call to hidden valley and they say we are thinking Friday so we are here on Saturday," said Mark Olearcyzk.
Mark was out with his friend and his son for the first time in the season. His son plays professionally locally and was using today to warm up.
"My son plays for the junior PGA, he plays for turning stone so we are looking forward to another great season," said Olearcyzk.
Opening up the course also takes alot of time. News Channel 2 spoke to owner Kevin Mcgrillis about what goes in to opening the course up for the season.
He said its alot of physical work such as picking up debris and getting the greens ready.
But financially the owners say that it was a good move to open early.
"Its hard to get the money tree through the winter so its nice. Plus I've been off all winter you see alot of people that you don't normally see all year," said owner Kevin Mcgrillis.
Any questions about league openings for the season and all other questions, contact the Hidden Valley Golf Course.
- Golf season starts early at Hidden Valley
- Woods Valley opens early
- Early Flu season locally
- Early bear season starts in northern New York
- Strawberry season gets a late start in the Mohawk Valley
- Winter weather is causing a delay to the start of golfing season
- Flu is getting an early start in the US this season
- Golf Course Assessment Legislation
- ALS Utica Golf Classic
- Cold temps mean early opening day at Woods Valley