ALBANY,N.Y. ---Earlier Sunday, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced an emergency executive action to ban the sale of flavored electronic cigarettes in New York State - the latest in a series of actions to combat the increasing number of youth using vape products, largely driven by e-cigarette companies marketing flavors that are intended to get children addicted to nicotine.
This comes after the CDC reported that 6 people have died due to lung disease related to the vaping products.
DOH Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker will hold an emergency meeting with the Public Health and Health Planning Council, or PHHPC, this week to ban flavored e-cigarettes.
The Governor directed State Police and DOH to immediately partner to ramp up enforcement efforts against retailers who sell to underage youth, with the possibility of criminal penalties.
Finally, the Governor announced he will advance legislation to ban deceptive marketing of e-cigarettes to teens and children.
"We do not know the long term health effects of the use of this product. Why? Because there has been no long term study. So, no one can sit here and say long term use of vaping, where you are inhaling steam and chemicals deep into your lungs, is healthy," said Cuomo.
The Governor went on to say that he will not be waiting on the federal government to take action.
"The political influence of these companies is not to be underestimated. These are very powerful business interests. If you listen to their spokespeople, they threaten the president politically with the power of their user, customer base, which is now addicted. So, I'm not relying on or waiting for the federal government. I don't expect them to do anything responsibly, to act responsibly, because I've never seen them act responsibly. So, our destiny is in our own hands, and we're taking action," said Cuomo.
- Governor Cuomo to ban flavored E-Cigarettes in New York
- Banning flavored e-cigarettes
- Schumer wants immediate ban on e-cigarette flavors
- This bill could ban e-cigarette flavors nationwide
- Hawaii considers first statewide ban on e-cigarette flavors
- NY eyes plan to be first state to ban flavored e-cigarettes
- FDA to crack down on menthol cigarettes, flavored vapes
- Panel approves ban on sale of flavored e-cigs in New York
- Michigan joins New York in banning sale of flavored e-cigs
- Governor Cuomo Issues Extreme Heat Warning