NEW HARTFORD, N.Y. – Acting Senate Minority Leader Joe Griffo presented the New York State Commendation Awards to community members in New Hartford Wednesday.
The award ceremony was held at the Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES.
The senator’s office says the commendation awards are one way the Senate recognized exceptional people who have made a lasting contribution in their community.
“All of the individuals honored today are leaders in the community who enrich the social, health and educational well-being of their fellow citizens,” Sen. Griffo said in a statement. “They demonstrate leadership by working on neighborhood causes, mentoring and teaching others, volunteering or simply serving as a role model. Their efforts and dedication improve the quality of life in every aspect of their communities.”
Those that were honored received a plaque and commendation coin as part of the ceremony.
• Utica Councilman Bill Philips
• Former Oneida County Legislator Les Porter
• John Wade, owner of Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse
• Rufus J. “Nini” Ventura, owner of Ventura’s Restaurant
• The Rev. Paul Drobin, former pastor of Holy Trinity Church and Transfiguration Church in Rome and St. John the Evangelist in New Hartford
• The Rev. Philip Hearn of St. Mary’s St. Peter’s Church in Rome
• Sonia Martinez of the Mohawk Valley Latino Association
• Frank Tomaino, historian and Observer-Dispatch contributor
• Former Utica Fire Chief Russell Brooks
• Pat Costello, former president of International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local
• Pastor Michael Servello Sr., founder of Redeemer Church and the Compassion Coalition
• Shirley Waters of the Rome Sentinel