UTICA -- Gubernatorial candidate Marc Molinaro is denouncing Gov. Andrew Cuomo's failure to take down "I Love New York" signs along the New York State Thruway.
The State Dept. of Transportation is responding to the candidate's claims too.
Molinaro, a Republican, says failure to remove the signs are putting $14 million of federal funds in jeopardy.
The federal highway administration says the signs have to be removed because they contain too much information and could be distracting.
The Cuomo administration said earlier this year that the signs would come down but so far that hasn't happened.
The DOT responded, Tuesday, saying that the agency is in ongoing discussions with the federal highway administration, and expect to have a mutually beneficial agreement in place well before the September deadline.
Molinaro says there are better ways taxpayer dollars could be used.
"We could have used those dollars, the 8 million, to install the signs and now the threatened loss of $14 million to make modest investments in infrastructure,” Molinaro said. “There are countless highways, bridges, and roadways across the state of New York that could use real benefit from a governor who's focused on real priorities."
Molinaro says that $8 million dollars was spent to put the signs up. Cuomo says that the signs have helped boost the state’s tourism industry.
Along with Molinaro, other candidates in the race for governor include Cynthia Nixon, Stephanie Miner, Larry Sharpe, Howie Hawkins, and Gov. Cuomo.