WORCESTER, N.Y. -- A Worcester healthcare aide was arrested Wednesday, accused of stealing more than $11,000 from an elderly couple in her care.
According to the Otsego County Sheriff’s Office, Stephanie L. Shulgay, 31, of Worcester, was arrested and charged with third-degree grand larceny.
The sheriff’s office said Shulgay was a home healthcare aide for a 91-year-old man and his wife before her passing. Over the last two years, officials said, Shulgay took cash advances from the couple’s bank account by using their credit and debit cards.
In addition, investigators said, Shulgay paid some of her personal bills and some of the bills of her elderly uncle.
In total, the sheriff’s office claims that Shulgay took more than $11,000 from the couple.
Shulgay was arraigned and released on her own recognizance. She is scheduled to appear in court next on Dec. 4.
The arrest was a result of a joint investigation between the sheriff’s office and the state department of financial services.
- Healthcare aide accused of stealing $11,000 from elderly couple
- Otsego County health aide accused of stealing $33k from elderly couple
- Rome woman accused of stealing $12K from elderly man
- Utica man accused of attacking elderly man and stealing his car
- Utica man with crow bar accused of stealing from elderly woman's purse
- Rome woman sentenced for stealing from elderly man
- Orange County Man arrested for scamming elderly couple in Baldwinsville
- Camden couple accused of stealing, selling tools from Vienna logging sites
- 11,000 people have been forced to evacuate as firefighters battle wildfires in Canada
- Local healthcare workers learn culturally sensitive trauma care