UTICA – America’s Greatest Heart Run and Walk is next weekend, and after last year’s frigid cold temperatures, organizers are trying to get 10,000 people to participate in this year’s event.
There are several different events people can participate in, such as a 3 mile walk, 5 mile walk, 3 mile run, 5 mile run, 10 mile run and an 18.6 mile run. You can learn more about the different events here.
The Utica-area event is the only event in the country to have “America’s Greatest” in the title, because locally, we were the first to hit the $1 million mark.
Proceeds from the run and walk benefit heart research and education.
“Heart disease is our number one killer, so to take the time to start exercising, I always say it's really neat that it's in March because everyone, usually, in January has these year goals to exercise more and usually by March you kind of flounder,” said Steve Gassner, logistics director for Heart Run and Walk weekend. “So, it's great to have the Heart Run and Walk to get you back up and going
You can get a head start by participating in an indoor event this weekend. A run and walk will be held at Rome Free Academy in Rome on Saturday, with registration opening at 8 a.m. It will also be a pre-registration site for the Heart Run and Walk on March 3.
To register for the Heart Run and Walk, click here.
- Heart Run and Walk officials want to reach 10,000 participants
- Participants refuel following Heart Run and Walk
- Poland seniors, first-graders participate in Indoor Heart Walk
- Jim Stasaitis steps away from Heart Run Walk
- Cardboard Classic raises funds for Heart Run and Walk
- $931,243 raised by 2018 Heart Run and Walk
- Sauquoit Valley students participate in National Student Walk Out