HERKIMER, N.Y. -- Two people have been displaced following a bar fire in Herkimer Wednesday morning.
The bar has been destroyed, and those living in the back apartment were able to make it out safely without injuries, along with their cat and dog, but unfortunately they lost a pet bird in the fire.
— earl davis (@edavisearl) March 13, 2019
Heavy smoke could be seen billowing from the Ole VI on South Washington Street sometime after 8 a.m.
Crews at the scene attempted to gain control of the fire, while trying to keep the adjacent building from suffering the same fate.
The bar is right next to the Herkimer American Legion, across from the old Kmart building. It's a place frequented by many throughout the years, and left some who watched in tears as it burned.
Firefighters from Herkimer, East Herkimer, Ilion, Mohawk, and Little Falls responded.
Route 5 between Main Street and King Street in the village of Herkimer was shut down, but it has since been reopened.
The Salvation Army Herkimer Emergency Disaster Services Team is providing assistance the two displaced because of the fire.
Volunteers are on the scene also provided hot beverages and water to first responders from across the Mohawk Valley, who battled the flames for hours.
There is no word on a cause at this point.