HERKIMER – Less than a year after the Herkimer Central School District welcomed its first school resource officer, another one has been assigned to the district.
Officer Matt Wright, who has been with the Herkimer Police Department for 12 years, will work with students at the Herkimer Elementary School, the district announced on its website this week.
Back in Aug. 2017, the school district announced that Herkimer Police Officer Shauna Jones would join the district for the 2017-18 school year. Officer Jones will now focus solely on the junior and senior high school buildings, while Officer Wright will focus on the elementary school.
“In addition to monitoring building and student safety, SROs work with teachers to educate students about personal safety,” the district said on its website. “At the Jr./Sr. High School level, the SRO supports the school’s D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program and anti-drug curriculum.”
The district says Wright is now stationed inside the main lobby of the elementary school, where students can leave him Post-It note messages or drop a private message in his mailbox.
- Herkimer CSD welcomes another school resource officer
- Herkimer Library Welcomes Electric Cars
- Central Valley CSD may extend Remington school building lease to Herkimer BOCES
- Herkimer CSD briefly on lockout Thursday morning; police found no credible threat
- Whitesboro CSD responds to alleged threat against high school
- Should School Resource Officers be paid for by the state?
- Counseling available for Whitesboro CSD community following fatal Yorkville fire
- Central Valley CSD focusing on internal candidates for new superintendent
- Westmoreland CSD taxpayers express concern over proposed capital improvement project
- Westmoreland CSD residents to vote on capital project today