FRANKFORT, N.Y. - The Herkimer County Fair kicked off Tuesday, and there is a lot planned for the week ahead.
The opening ceremony was Tuesday afternoon at the Fairgrounds in Frankfort.
Attractions include games, rides, animals, and of course Fair food.
Gerry Elthorp, Treasurer and Manager of the Herkimer County Fair, says the Fair draws crowds of people from all over, not just within Herkimer County.
“We have about attendance of about 70,000 people, and we get them from all over. It becomes the family unity spot. We have people that come in from Virginia yearly, and people who camp, have homes here, and go to Florida for the winter. (They) come up here and meet as a family group," Elthorp told NewsChannel 2.
Elthorp also says highlights of the Fair are the entertainment and agriculture.
“The cattlebarns are full, we have a lot of entertainment that's free for the price of the ticket.” Elthorp said.
The Fair runs through Sunday.
Highlights for Wednesday include children’s day with rides opening at Noon, and Shania Twin’s final performance at the Herkimer County Fair.
Admission is $10.00 for adults, $3.00 for children ages 5-12, and free for children ages five and under. Parking is free.
- Herkimer County Fair underway in Frankfort
- Rylee Lum performs at Herkimer County Fair
- Frankfort-Schuyler star signs NLI with Herkimer
- Herkimer County celebrates seniors with annual picnic in Frankfort
- Mug Club: Herkimer College Career Fair
- Herkimer County Fair under a boil water advisory
- More than 600 Herkimer County 5th graders learn farm, home safety in Frankfort
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- Water rescue in Herkimer County
- Animal trouble in Herkimer County