Herkimer County is one of 11 counties in the nation selected to participate in the 'Rural Impact Counties Challenge.'
One of the tough challenges locally is the rise in childhood poverty.
The initiative brings together key decision makers from health, mental health, social services agencies, education and law enforcement to identify, prioritize and address critical needs. And for most, that's employment.
"We need to work together and structure programs so we have kids ready to go to work when they're 20. 21. 22. 23 years old," said Herkimer County Administator Jim Wallace. "Everybody doesn't have to go to college. We have a lot of good jobs in this area where you can raise a family, have good benefits, and have a great life in Herkimer County."
For the challenge, the county plans to focus its efforts on support for children from birth to five years old, child care, and the needs of youth age 16 to 24 that are not in school and not working.
- Herkimer County to participate in 'Rural County Challenge'
- Herkimer County officers participate in ‘Shop with the Cop’
- WKTV participates in Boilermaker pasta challenge
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- Water rescue in Herkimer County
- Animal trouble in Herkimer County
- Herkimer College participates in 'Around the World for Yeardley' initiative
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- Herkimer Mayor to the Herkimer County IDA : "Take responsibility"
- Election Day 2017: Herkimer County races