HERKIMER- Electric car charging stations have made their way into the Mohawk Valley. On Friday, the Village of Herkimer welcomed home their first charging station at the Herkimer Library.
It’s similar to plugging in your phone, except now it’s your car. The station in the village is sponsored by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, in a mission to help improve air quality.
The Herkimer Library is one of five locations in the Mohawk Valley which houses these stations. The project is part of a bigger plan, backed by Gov. Cuomo and New York State, to place these charging stations along I-90 W from Buffalo to Albany.
In the near future, the Mohawk Valley plans on placing more charging ports within Central New York for the convenience of it’s users.
“I think that we are on the forefront of something new here in Herkimer,” said Anthony Brindisi, Mayor of Herkimer. “I don’t think these cars are just a splash in the pan I think they are a reality and I’m glad we are a part of this.”
Energetics a local cooperation based out of Clinton, N.Y. helped make this dream a reality.
“We were looking for places in the Mohawk Valley which would be perfect for these stations right now,” said Bryan Roy, Principal Engineer at Energetics. “We found Herkimer and a few other locations that were perfect and took action.”
Roy was on site at the Herkimer Library Friday and demonstrated the electric car station.
If you are interested in purchasing an electric car, New York State is currently offering a $2,500 Drive Clean rebate and up to $7,500 in federal tax credit.
- Herkimer Library Welcomes Electric Cars
- Herkimer CSD welcomes another school resource officer
- NY offering $4k rebates for electric car charging stations
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- Herkimer Mayor to the Herkimer County IDA : "Take responsibility"
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- New gym opens in Herkimer
- Implementing Herkimer’s Master Plan
- CMN 2018 Thanks Walmart Herkimer
- Water rescue in Herkimer County