Herkimer, N.Y. - Herkimer Mayor Mark Netti says the Herkimer area community is such a caring community and he says that has been so evident ever since word started to spread Friday morning that three young boys died in a fire on E. Steele St..
Netti says this tragedy has hit so many people very hard, "After I left the fire the first time I went home and grabbed my grandchildren and gave them a hug and a kiss, sent them off to school and went back down to the fire scene periodically throughout the day. It was tough, very tough, and that poor family...and I know the grandfather very well and my heart goes out to them. I cried a lot yesterday and you might get it back today, but if I'm crying, I can only imagine what they're doing."
Netti says he is so proud of the Herkimer area community's support, both with people's kind words the past 24 hours, and in their generosity, as a GoFundMe page set up to help the family is now over $20,000.
Netti says the remaining structure was taken down Saturday morning by village DPW crews because it was deemed unsafe. He says the cause of teh fire has been determined, but he says we would have to get that official cause from fire officials. So far, Herkimer fire officials have not returned out call to find out what the investigation has shown.
- Herkimer Mayor : "I cried a lot yesterday"
- Herkimer Mayor to the Herkimer County IDA : "Take responsibility"
- Herkimer mayoral candidates discuss future plans for village
- Netti unofficially defeats Brindisi in Herkimer mayoral election
- Herkimer Mayor Mark Netti sworn in at board meeting
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- Herkimer Library Welcomes Electric Cars
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- New gym opens in Herkimer
- Implementing Herkimer’s Master Plan