HERKIMER, N.Y -- As part of the Herkimer Diamond Days street festival, residents got the opportunity to tour a piece of Herkimer history.
The doors were open on Saturday at the 1834 Herkimer Jail. Tours began at 10 on Saturday morning and lasted until 2 pm Saturday afternoon.
Residents got the opportunity to tour the cell of Chester Gillette which was one of jail's most famous inmates.
"After he murdered his girlfriend up at Big Moose Lake, he was brought to this jail and stood trial across the street at the courthouse and he hence went to Auburn Prison," said Herkimer County Historian James Greiner.
The festival finished up Saturday evening with live music from 6:30 to 8 pm.
- Herkimer county residents tour 1834 jail
- Herkimer County Jail plans continue to progress
- Construction continues on new Herkimer County Jail
- Herkimer Legislature moves forward on jail site
- Herkimer County Legislature accepting bids for jail construction
- Herkimer County Legislature subcommittees approve concrete-style jail
- Herkimer man accused of possessing cocaine inside county jail
- Herkimer woman accused of bringing drugs into Oneida County Jail
- Bids being reviewed for construction of new Herkimer County Jail
- Contractors chosen to build new Herkimer County Jail