HERKIMER -- Some residents in the Village of Herkimer got the chance to take a step back in time Wednesday night.
The Herkimer County Historical Society held a program showcasing 100 hundred year old photos of Herkimer. Herkimer Residents were able to learn more about the history of Herkimer at the program.
The photographs detailed Herkimers long history over the last 100 years, giving residents insight into their community.
The events organizer says she was interested in doing the event after reading the book "Panorama and History of Herkimer'. After doing research on the history of some local buildings, and taking pictures of what the buildings look like today, the organizer was able to put together a "then and now" presentation and compare the 100 year old pictures to present day Herkimer.
Executive Director Susan Perkins says learning about the history of where you live is important.
"It's good to have them come out and learn about the past, and hopefully the future doesn't change too much," Perkins said. "So many things have changed throught the years, so it's good to document what's here now. And then the book was wonderful for 1900, to show what it looked like then, so you can have a comparison of the two."
The Herkimer County Historical Society's goal focuses on the discovery, preservation, and publication of local history. The Historical Society holds programs every month. Click here for more on their upcoming events
- Herkimer residents get a lesson in history at program showcasing 100 year old photos
- Herkimer residents vote to approve Capital Project
- Herkimer residents concerned over a traffic light
- Herkimer College announces new police training program
- Getting some ‘reel’ life lessons
- No tax increase for Herkimer County residents heading into 2019
- Grocery store closing up after 100 years
- Herkimer man accused of sexually abusing child also found with explicit photos
- A day you can't prepare for: 100 firefighters knock down Herkimer business fires
- PHOTO GALLERIES: Boilermaker 2017