Rochester, MN - The No. 2 seeded Herkimer men's basketball team got double-digit scoring from four different players as they defeated No. 7 seed Sandhills in the NJCAA D-III Tournament quarterfinals, Thursday.
Sophomores Derrick Felder, Musa Pough and Arnold Agard each tied for a team-high 14 points in the contest with sophomore Keshaun Howard right behind them with 13.
The Generals held a high-powered offense Flyers team to just 30.6% shooting from the field and 28% from 3-point range.
"Going into the contest I believe they averaged 96 points per game so our number one focus was spreading back on defense and making them score in the half court 5-on-5," Herkimer head coach, Matt Lee, told NEWSChannel 2 following the game. "I thought we did a really good job of doing that. Once we got them 5-on-5 defensively, I thought our angles were the right angles, we kept the dribble drive out of the paint, and we did a really good job of defensive rebounding the ball."
Herkimer improves to 29-1 this season and advances to face the No. 3 seed Richland College (TX) at 6 p.m. EST on Friday.
- Herkimer rolls into NJCAA D-III semifinals
- MVCC, Herkimer advance to Region III semifinals this weekend
- Generals defeat Rock Valley in NJCAA Division III National Championship
- 2017 Section III Football Tournament
- Section III Boys Lacrosse Tournaments
- Section III Girls Lacrosse Tournaments
- Herkimer handles Corning, MVCC escapes with OT win to advance to the Region III Final
- Whitesboro boys advance to Section III Class A semifinals, Oneida girls fall short in Class B quarterfinals
- 2017 Section III Girls Field Hockey Tournament
- 2017 Section III Girls Soccer Tournament