Herkimer, N.Y. - Just one day after Herkimer College sophomore Derrick Felder was named NJCAA Division III Player of the Year, Generals head coach Matt Lee has been named the NJCAA Division III Coach of the Year, Friday.
This is his first national coach of the year award.
Lee lead Herkimer to its first NJCAA Division III Championship since 1991, going 31-1 in the process and finishing on a 28-game winning streak.
He was also named NJCAA Division III Men's Basketball Championship Gary Cole Coach of the Tournament after their run.
The Herkimer grad has been coaching the Generals since 2003, and has compiled a 405-123 record over his tenure.
He said that this honor is the cherry on top of what was a magical season.
It's great, it's one of those things you always want to be a part of, it's hard to set out to have that as your goal because it's really hard to do," Lee said. "I'm just happy and proud to be around those kids who, they had goals, we all had goals, and for them to put in the work and effort that they did to accomplish their goals lead to this one for me."
Lee will coach the Division II/Division III team against the Division I team in the NJCAA All-Star Game in Las Vegas on May 18.
Felder will play for the D-II/D-III team.
- Herkimer's Matt Lee named 2019 NJCAA Coach of the Year
- Herkimer rolls into NJCAA D-III semifinals
- Herkimer Generals mark NJCAA title at celebratory banquet
- Herkimer County names new humane investigator
- Colgate's Matt Langel voted Patriot League coach of year
- Herkimer tops Finger Lakes twice to capture Region III title, advance to NJCAA Division III World Series for second straight year
- Local DJ Matt Herkimer to retire after 51 years in radio
- Herkimer's Anadio wins Co-coach of the Year, Puppolo wins Player of the Year for Mountain Valley Conference
- Herkimer County Chamber of Commerce names new executive director
- Herkimer County HealthNet names Elyse Enea as executive director