Holland Patent, N.Y. - The Holland Patent football team is looking to do something it hasn't done in over 30 years, win a Section III title.
They'll get that chance on Saturday when the Golden Knights face General Brown at the Carrier Dome with a 12 p.m. kick-off.
The last time that Holland Patent football took part in a section title game was back in 1991, the last time they won was in 1989.
"We’re very excited, it’s been along time since Holland Patent has been in the championship game," said head coach, Brian Briggs. "The kids are excited, the community is excited and hopefully we come away with a victory."
The Golden Knights are 9-0 this season, coming off a big 49-28 thrashing of Lowville in the semifinal, last Friday.
With 20 seniors, Holland Patent knew what it had coming into the year, but they said it was up to them to execute. So far, they say they have done just that.
"It’s an unreal feeling, of course, not every team every year gets to play for the title," said senior wide receiver, DJ Harter. "We’ve been working since January, all of our guys have been coming to practice every day, we’ve been working hard so it definitely feels like we’re getting what we deserve, to get a chance."
They are facing a Lions team that is 8-1, and hungry to take the next step after losing in the Section III Class C title game to Skaneateles last year.
For Holland Patent, the game plan is the same. They're excited for the chance they have in front of them, but they are trying not to think too far ahead.
"Coming in we were pretty confident, we knew this is what we wanted to achieve this year, this is our end goal," said senior quarterback, Nick Herringshaw. "Now we’re here and we just got achieve it, we’ve just got to go out and play how we’ve been playing all year every game in and out, and this is no different."
Click on the video above for more.
- Holland Patent keeping eyes on section title
- Section III Class C champ, Holland Patent, sets its focus on regional final
- Holland Patent girls soccer team one win away from program's first state title
- Holland Patent holds off Waterville in double-overtime thriller
- Holland Patent man injured in Trenton snowmobile accident
- Authorities make arrest in social media threat against Holland Patent
- Holland Patent school board members discuss threat at meeting
- Holland Patent girls soccer confident heading into state semifinals
- Holland Patent boys, VVS girls crowned tournament champs
- Holland Patent wrestler breaking the mold in high school wrestling