East Herkimer, N.Y. - East Herkimer Fire Department officials say a house fire that started around 2:00 a.m. Saturday on Steuben Hill Rd. in East Herkimer quickly got out of control and completely destroyed the structure.
East Herkimer Deputy Fire Chief Dave McClouskey says the home was recently purchased by a man who owns the home next door on Steuben Hill Rd..
McClouskey did not release the new owner's name, but says that new owner just had the power to the home turned on and was in the process of renovating it, with the intention of renting it out. McClouskey says the home was a foreclosure which had been vacant for about three years before the new owner bought it recently from a bank.
McClouskey says he had spoken with the owner who had been asleep in his home next door when his dogs woke him up, "The homeowner came home after the football game last night, came home and checked the house, everything was fine. About 1:00 in the morning, dogs woke him up, he heard a bang and a pop, looked out the window and found his house that he just bought from a bank foreclosure, fully involved. He called 911, we responded, the house was fully involved we got here."
McClouskey says fire investigators are still combing through the burnt out remains to try and determine a cause.
The Mohawk, Frankfort, Schuyler and Newport volunteer fire departments all responded to provide mutual aid.
- Home under renovation completely destroyed after early morning fire in East Herkimer
- Early morning fire destroys Constableville home
- Home in Herkimer destroyed following devastating fire
- Two without a home after Herkimer bar destroyed in fire
- Structure completely destroyed in Fairfield fire
- 2 Oneida County DPW trucks destroyed by early morning fire
- Middleville Garage Fire Destroys Home
- Fire Destroys West Winfield Home
- Fire destroys Poland mobile home
- Trenton home destroyed by fire