UPDATE - Fire crews were still at the scene of a house fire in Boonville late Wednesday evening, nearly five hours after the fire broke out. A family of four lived in the home.
The fire on State Route 12 broke out just before 5:00 p.m. Wednesday. As of 9:15 p.m. crews were still on the scene.
Fire officials said the family that lived in the home made it out safely.
While the cause of the fire is still under investigation, officials believe the fire orginiated in the basement.
"They burn wood in the cellar and they had a wood furnace and the fire originated in the cellar," Chief David Pritchard said. "Not saying it’s a wood stove yet, but we'll have to look at it closer. The fire spread, came up the stairs and into the garage and of course into the residence and it just spread from there."
The fire chief said his crew wasn't just battling the fire, but fatigue as well due to heavy smoke and flames. Neighboring fire departments helped at the scene.
TOWN OF BOONVILLE – Several agencies responded to a house fire in northern Oneida County late Wednesday afternoon.
Oneida County 911 reports at 4:55 p.m. they received a report of a structure fire at 11819 State Route 12 north of Alder Creek, near Taylor Road and Kerwin Road. At least a half dozen fire, police, and ambulance departments were called to the scene or to provide mutual aid.
NEWSChannel 2’s crew on the scene reports heavy smoke pouring from the home. A ladder was brought in to attack the fire from the second floor.
Traffic on Route 12 was slowed while firefighters worked at the scene.
- House fire slows traffic on Route 12 in Boonville
- Loose cow slows up traffic on Route 12
- Rollover crash slowed traffic on Route 49 in Rome
- UPDATE:Accident in Boonville shuts down Route 12 for hours
- Boonville Snowfest Postponed
- Tractor trailer fire on Thruway slows down traffic
- Boonville residents react to devastating fire
- Boonville community collecting donations for fire victims
- Boonville's historic Hulbert House to go up for auction
- Hulbert House: Future of landmark building in Boonville is unknown