UTICA, NY - Thirty-six kittens and three cats were recently abandoned at the Stevens-Swan Humane Society in Utica, and the shelter is currently at capacity.
"We counted up to 39 and that's including the three mothers that we have," said John Treen, shelter manager at the humane society in Utica.
The shelter is currently caring for nearly 200 cats. The shelter posted about the incident on Facebook.
"A person showed up at the shelter, was very uncooperative and threatened to let them loose in the parking lot if we didn't take them all," according to statement on Stevens-Swan Humane Society's Facebook page.
The kittens are three to 11-weeks-old. According to the shelter, the mother cats are having difficulties feeding all of the kittens. Treen said many of the kittens are malnourished.
"We have some of the cats were in really good shape, some of the cats were not in really good shape, " he said. "The kittens some of them were a little sick, but that tends to happen when you have an overpopulation and can't properly take care of them. They have a little bit of a cold or some of them have a little eye gunk. They are going to be held for a period of time until they are no longer sick or contagious before they can go up for adoption."
All three of the kittens that were eligible have been adopted. But more kittens should be ready for adoption by next month.
The shelter is also taking donations for canned cat food, blankets and towels as well as monetary donations.
For more information on adoption or to donate visit: www.stevens-swan.org
- Humane Society in Utica takes in 39 abandoned kittens and cats
- Cats found abandoned in Utica apartment
- Four abandoned kittens found during Palmieri event in Utica
- NEWSTALK: FURever Friend Humane Society of Rome
- Bikers for animals benefits local humane society
- Limo company operator facing 39 new charges
- FURever Friend: Joy from the Herkimer County Humane Society
- Humane society telethon is one for the record books
- Stevens-Swan Humane Society in need of laundry detergent donations
- The Stevens-Swan Humane Society celebrates annual 'Fur Ball' fundraiser