Be careful when heading out tonight. The combination of snow, above freezing temperatures during the day, and below freezing temperatures tonight will create conditions for black ice.
Black ice forms on pavement when water freezes. It gets its name because it's difficult to spot and can be dangerous.
Salt can prevent black ice from forming. Roads that are treated tonight will be wet instead of icy. Putting salt on your driveway or sidewalk will also prevent black ice from forming.
Snow will continue to fall tonight too, accumulating to up to 2". The snow is expected to end by tomorrow morning, with temperatures starting out in the teens.
- Icy roads expected Monday night
- Icy spots developing Thursday night
- Freezing rain expected Saturday night
- Accumulating snow returns Monday night
- Another heavy rainfall expected Halloween night
- Crews across the Mohawk Valley working to clear snow, treat icy roads
- No injuries reported after school bus veers off icy road in Rome
- Ilion Water: Meeting Monday Night, Discoloration Monday Morning
- Wintry mix continues for spots Monday night
- Another round of snow Monday night