Watch out for icy spots tonight! Untreated wet surfaces are expected to freeze tonight, as temperatures fall below freezing. While we didn't get much snowfall, it doesn't take much standing water to cause icy spots across the region. Icy spots will persist through early tomorrow morning.
The freezing process on untreated asphalt creates a layer of ice that's known as black ice. No, the ice isn't actually black, but it looks like it on the asphalt. This type of ice is very difficult to spot, especially at night. Black ice is known to cause traffic accidents along with injuries from falling. The best way to prevent black ice from occurring is to sprinkle salt or sand on the sidewalk or driveway.
Temperatures tonight are expected to plunge into the low 20s, by far the coldes we've been so far this season. Lake effect snow does develop late tonight and early tomorrow, with the majority of accumulating snow staying west of our viewing area.
- Icy spots developing Thursday night
- Icy roads expected Monday night
- Wintry mix continues for spots Monday night
- Snow returns Thursday night
- Flash freeze Thursday night
- Chilly Thursday night
- Workers in the right spot at the right time to save dog from icy water
- WKTV participates in Saranac Thursdays media night
- Educators honored for their service Thursday night
- Rome downtown development plans