ILION – Ilion village officials outlined a solution to the ongoing water problem, and gave an estimated time frame for it to be fixed at their board meeting Wednesday.
Board members say they're hoping to have the issue fixed by early October.
Bruce Morgan, supervisor of Ilion’s water treatment plant, says the design of the well, which is where some of the water supply comes from, doesn't work with the engineering system as well designer’s thought it would.
Morgan says that instead of using water from the well, residents will mainly rely on surface water for their water supply. And while Morgan says he’s not sure how long it’ll take to make the transition, the goal is to turn off the well completely by the fall.
At the board meeting, only a handful of residents showed up. One resident says fixing the issue is important, but so is attending the meetings.
"The water situation is critical because a lot of people are getting water that they cannot drink,” Ilion resident Mitch Pezdek said. “So, they get billed by the village and they have to pay the bill, but then they go out and have to buy bottled water … This can't go on. We have to do something, so if people don't come down to meetings like this they're not going to have any input."
Many Ilion residents say the water coming out the faucets is brown and sometimes has a smell and taste to it.
Ilion mayor Brian Lamica says the discoloration happens when water from the well and surface water collide in the water system causing a disruption.
A public meeting will be held in mid-September to discuss this issue further. There is no exact date for the meeting, but we'll keep you updated when it becomes available.
- Ilion officials provide estimated time frame for water problem to be fixed
- Ilion water problems continue
- New York State official takes notice of Ilion's water problem
- Engineering firm presents options to fix water issue in Ilion
- Fixing problems at the garage
- Ilion Water Problem: One Step Closer to Solution
- Residents learn about possible solutions to Ilion water problems
- Health Department wants Ilion to provide bottled water
- Officials respond to water rescue at the Ilion Marina
- Cuomo, mayor promising long-term fix to ongoing Ilion water issues