ILION -- Just hours after crews fixed a water main break on Barringer road in Ilion, village officials reported a second water main break along route 51 around 4 p.m. that partially shut down the road.
The village is in a state of emergency as crews work to fix the problem. They say it's about the same size as the water main break that was just repaired on Barringer Road.
“This main, that is now broke, is going to be an equal challenge as the one we just had,” said Mayor Brian Lamica. “Water conservation is of the upmost and this just solidifies that whole thing. Basically, if you don’t have to use water don’t do it.”
Several homes in the village are without water. Governor Andrew Cuomo says village residents will not be able to use their water immediately after the water main is fixed, and should boil their water.
“As the water system comes back up you do need several days for the system to refill, and then the system has to be tested for several days before you can really use this system for drinking water etc.,” said Cuomo.
After fixing the water main on Barringer road, crews continued to work non-stop to fix the water main on route 51.
“Water crews, again, will be tied up,” said Lamica. “They’ve been working for hours straight. Like over 48 hours and maybe a couple of hours of a nap in between.”
Water will be available at the municipal building from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday.
- Second water main break discovered on Route 51 in Ilion
- BREAKING: Water Main on Route 51 in Ilion repaired
- Ilion water project to address water main breaks and discoloration
- Route 51 bridge in Ilion fully closes Thursday — through August
- Water main break on Remington Avenue in Ilion
- UPDATE: Water main repaired in Ilion following overnight break
- Water main breaks on Barringer Road in Ilion
- Ilion experiences third water main break in a week
- Water main breaks continue to burden Village of Ilion
- Ilion water problems continue