ILION, N.Y. – Remington Arms employees are telling NewsChannel 2 that a portion of the company’s Ilion facility will temporarily close this summer.
The employees, who did not want to be identified, say they will be furloughed for more than two months this summer, beginning June 3rd and lasting through August 12th. This is in addition to an annual plant shutdown and vacation which traditionally covers the first two weeks of July. This information has been confirmed by Ilion Mayor Brian Lamica.
The shutdown only impacts a portion of the production lines, but some of the lines will remain open throughout the summer. Approximately 500 employees will be furloughed and approximately 280 will remain, according to Lamica.
The employees say they officially learned of the shutdown at a meeting Tuesday afternoon, though rumors had circulated for weeks. They also say another shutdown could take place in December.
Remington filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in March of 2018 with a debt of more than $900 million, citing a low demand for guns and a surplus of inventory. These were also the reasons given for the new furloughs. The company emerged from bankruptcy two months later.
NewsChannel 2 contacted a Remington public relations representative who declined comment, saying he did not have enough information and could neither confirm nor deny our report. WKTV has also reached out to several additional elected officials, and we are awaiting responses.
- Employees: Portion of Remington Arms temporarily closing this summer
- 75 Remington Arms employees laid off
- Mental health evaluation ordered for former Remington Arms employee
- Political view of Remington Arms furloughs
- Reaction to Remington Arms Declaring for Bankruptcy
- Union representing Remington Arms workers endorses Tenney
- First day of unemployment for Remington employees
- Road paving will temporarily close portion of Burrstone Road in Utica
- Remington Arms hit with 27 OSHA violations after employee loses fingertip
- Remington Arms to furlough workers through rest of 2017