Now that the Village of Herkimer has a Master Plan, the top priority is to set up a retail corridor. Herkimer Planning Board Chairman Brion Carroll says that retail corridor should be obvious to anyone passing through, but changes have to be made to the business areas.
"In order to do that you need to establish a zoning structure that complies with that."
That zoning may not sit well with some residents along Main Street. The zoning could keep residents living on Main Street from recreational loitering, or simply hanging out in front of their building.
"When it comes to doing that in what we would consider to be the main retail corridor, North Main Street, it becomes an issue."
The Master Plan also make provisions to give those residents alternative places to go, like parks.
"We do want to support everyone in all walks of life. We just got to make sure that that includes those that are actually investing in, let’s say Main Street, in order to bring prosperity and value to the community."
The retail corridor targets the areas of route 28, route 5, and North Main Street. Carroll says the Master Plan basically follows the research already performed by major companies like Wal-Mart and McDonald’s, and that research points to Herkimer as a prime spot for retail.
"It reinforces the fact that we are already seen by the business community as a retail center, and therefore, if you take that, and if you look at the vision map that we have, it kind of lays out the fact that where we put the retail corridor is where they already said the retail corridor was."
While there are people who believe retail is losing out to the internet, Carroll believes local restaurants, shops, and social interaction are still viable.
"Those things will never truly go to the internet, but the shopping I think we’re going to find a way to blend it in with the internet craze and social media into what we call brick and mortar."
Click here to learn more about all of the actions contained in Herkimer's Master Plan.
- Implementing Herkimer’s Master Plan
- Village of Herkimer Master Plan 2020 is now a reality
- Oneida County officials talk plans for 'Raise the Age' implementation
- Utica Common Council approves Parks Master Plan
- Herkimer County Jail plans continue to progress
- Implementing New York’s Safe Act
- Asthmatic otter masters inhaler
- Oneonta Rail Yards may be included in city's master plan
- Years in the making, Palmieri unveils Utica parks master plan
- Herkimer mayoral candidates discuss future plans for village