NEW YORK MILLS -- Sheriff’s deputies made extra patrols at New York Mills Union Free School Monday, following a snapchat threat investigation over the weekend.
The Oneida County sheriff and New York Mills School staff are investigating a threat made by a student to another student on snapchat. The sheriff says two 13-year-old students at New York Mills School had a disagreement, when one student sent the other a threat on snapchat.
“They received a snapchat from someone, and the snapchat was concerning to them,” Sheriff Rob Maciol said. “So, they in turn went to a trusted adult and told them and showed them their message. That person took it to the next level. They notified school administration.”
After conducting interviews with the parties involved, Maciol says the threat was found to be not credible.
“The message that the person received, at the end of our investigation, revealed that the person couldn’t carry out potentially what they were saying, or showing, or doing, Maciol said”
Maciol says he sent a deputy to the school so that people can feel at ease.
The school notified parents of the threat with a message posted on their website. It reads:
The safety of all students and faculty members is a priority of this district and this matter is being taken seriously. Both the New York Mills school district and the Oneida County sheriff’s office are continuing to investigate this incident.
“If you see something say something,” Maciol said. “If something doesn’t appear to be okay to you, may appear threatening, may appear inappropriate, you need to report that.”
- Increased patrols at New York Mills School
- Mug Club: New York Mills School PTSO Holiday Craft Fair
- New York Mills celebrates Polish heritage
- Water Main break in New York Mills
- New York Mills, Newport remember 9/11
- State police increasing patrols at New York mosques, houses of worship following New Zealand attacks
- Multiple shots fired at Twin Ponds in New York Mills
- Walkers brave Heartbreak Hill in New York Mills
- UPDATE: Missing New York Mills man found safe
- Mug Club: New York Mills Sports Booster Marauder Open