(WDIV) The bodies of 11 babies have been found in the ceiling of a former Detroit funeral home after investigators received an anonymous tip.
The bodies were found in a hidden compartment located in the ceiling of the building.
Nine bodies were found in a cardboard box, two were found in caskets -- all in a hidden section of the ceiling.
State inspectors shut down the Cantrell Funeral Home in April after the discovery of several violations including decomposing remains and "deplorable conditions."
During a popup inspection during that time frame inspectors found 20 bodies, seven were in caskets, three were in cremation containers, and ten were just lying on tables. According to inspectors many of the bodies had been decomposing for months.
Read more: http://bit.ly/2OuJSsE
- Infant bodies found in funeral home ceiling
- More remains found hidden in former funeral home
- Man falls through ceiling of Waffle House
- Infant Death Investigation
- Rome train station closed for ceiling repairs following partial collapse
- Boa constrictor falls from ceiling, lands on sleeping CNY man
- Missing Dolgeville Man's body found in Fairfield
- Officials investigating overnight fire at funeral home in Herkimer
- PHOTOS: Officer Kevin Crossley's funeral
- Infant death investigation underway in Marshall