MARCY, N.Y. – Two officers from Mid-State Correctional Facility were treated for injuries after being attacked by an inmate, according to the New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association (NYSCOPBA).
A correctional officer ordered an inmate to get off of a call around 3 p.m. on Dec. 29, when his time allowed on the phone had expired. NYSCOPBA says the inmate argued with the officer before turning around and punching him in the face.
After a struggle, the officer was able to get the inmate in a body hold until other staff could assist with putting him in restraints. The inmate was then placed in a special housing unit.
According to NYSCOPBA, the officer was treated by medical staff for minor injuries before being transferred to a local hospital for treatment. Another officer was also treated at the facility for minor injuries.
“Staff assaults have increased for four consecutive years and exceeded 1,000 for the first time in 2019. While inmate advocates continue to call for additional disciplinary reforms, staff are constantly at risk for unprovoked attacks,” said Bryan Hluska, NYSCOPBA central region vice president. “All of this will continue in 2020 until the administration recognizes that significant changes need to be made to protect staff. That should be the number one priority in the coming year.”
The inmate is 26 years old and is serving a three-year sentence after being convicted of third-degree rape in Kings County in 2018.
- NYSCOPBA: Inmate punches officer in face at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- 6 corrections officers injured at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- Officer sustains fractured eye, nose after inmate attack at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- Mohawk Correctional Facility inmate convicted of assault after attacking officer
- Female officer injured by inmate at Mohawk Correctional Facility
- NYSCOPBA donates $5K to American Heart Association
- Inmate escapes correction officer custody in Utica
- Visitation suspended at all state correctional facilities
- 2 downstate women accused of bringing drugs into Mid-State Correctional Facility
- 2 officers need treatment after inmate attack at Mohawk Valley Correctional Facility