UTICA, N.Y. – A Rome man who pleaded guilty to slamming his toddler’s head into a wall has been sentenced to 30 days in jail and three years of probation.
Brandon Shugars, 24, appeared in Oneida County Court for sentencing Tuesday after pleading guilty to endangering the welfare of a child in August.
Shugars had a previous sentencing hearing in November, where he was supposed to receive only the three years of probation. Judge Michael Dwyer believed Shugars should serve time in jail in addition to the probation, and adjourned the hearing until Dec. 3.
Police say Shugars assaulted his 2-year-old son after he had an accident on the floor. After the incident, the boy was taken to the hospital and treated for injuries before being released into the care of family members.
- Judge sentences Rome man who slammed 2-year-old into wall
- Rome man accused of slamming 2-year-old son's head through wall
- Man sentenced in Rome log skidder chase
- 'Worship Without Walls' every Tuesday in Rome
- Rome woman sentenced for stealing from elderly man
- Rome man sentenced for role in federal drug trafficking conspiracy
- Guatemalan man detained at Rome farm sentenced to prison time
- Rome man sentenced to prison time for making meth
- Rome man charged in pellet gun shooting sentenced to probation
- Sentencing postponed as judge debates jail time for Rome father accused of assaulting child