UTICA- Kossuth’s Fish Market was packed today for the Feast of the Seven Fishes. It’s a long-standing Italian tradition to have a seafood feast on the night of Christmas Eve.
"It's a very long week for us, it starts at the beginning of the week. We've been open from last Monday to this Monday. Serving everyone from commercial restaurants to retail customers walking in. Customers that we've had all year round coming in every Friday. So, it’s good to see the community come together for a very important time of the year." Said Francesco Affatigato
Many locals have been coming to Kossuth’s on Christmas Eve for many years. Peter Passante is a loyal customer of Kossuth’s and used to come down here with his family.
"I'm buying fish for the holidays, I come here every year, the prices are decent and the food is always delicious. My grandparents used to come down here so it's a family tradition. And its one of the only fish markets in town." Said Passante
Fried Haddock is the most popular item purchased. Its deep fried to perfection and they sell it fast.
Lines of people could be seen entering Kossuth’s from the street along with happy customers with bags of fresh seafood.
Owners of Kossuth’s say the turnout is usually busy but unpredictable.
"It’s very unpredictable, we have years where we open on 6am every Christmas eve and I've had people waiting at the door from 5:30 to come in. So, it’s very hard to predict. It seems like everyone does the opposite of what they did last year so no matter what everyone ends up coming in at the same time."
Employees say this is just another example of Utica’s famous food.
“It’s part of being in Utica, we have the best food whether its pizza all the way to fish fries. Yeah, so it’s definitely something we’re known for here in Utica is the food. Thank you everybody for coming in and we look forward to serving you next year."
- Kossuth's Fish Market packed for Feast of the Seven Fishes
- Local fish fry cancellations
- A fish called Wakanda: New purple fish honors 'Black Panther'
- NEWSTALK: Sitrin Youth Fishing Derby
- Newstalk: Cornerstone Church Community feast
- Ice fishing through the CEAL Program
- Locals celebrate Lent with annual fish fry
- Frankfort holds 7th annual youth fishing derby
- Mug Club: 40 & 8 Fish Frys
- CNY Youth Fishing Educators teamed up with Sitrin Health Care Center for annual fishing derby