COLD BROOK- After an entire week of ceremonies and tributes, George H.W Bush has been laid to rest. As the country mourns the loss of a president, some are looking back on his life as a president and as a father.
Jeff Hubalek joined the Navy in 1989 and served on the USS Belknap, a guided missile destroyer. During his time in the Navy he had the oppurtunity of a lifetime to meet President George H.W Bush. But he didnt just get to meet him, he got to shake his hand and posed for a picture.
"As I approached George H.W Bush and he was getting ready to put out his hand to shake mine. He said hello sailor how are you, I said thank you sir pleasure to meet you. Being thousands of miles away and having a man like that, the president of the United States, It was truly amazing." said Jeff
The President was onboard the ship during the Malta Summit of 1989 with then Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev. It served as George H.W Bush's home for the three day summit.
While onboard the President interacted with the crew by eating dinner with them and even holding a church service. Even though having a sitting president onboard the warship was exciting, their was no room for any errors. Jeff tells us the crew had to be on their best behavior.
"Everybody had to have their A game on, everything just had to be tip top shape."
The summit would go on to be a historic meeting between the Soviet Union and the United States. But it isnt the summit that Jeff is going to remember.
"That memory of him being onboard my war vessel the USS Belknap CG 26 Guided missile cruiser that will stand with me for as long as I live."
- Local Veteran Recalls Meeting George H.W Bush
- George H.W. Bush Fast Facts
- Former President George H.W. Bush dies at age 94
- Local Veterans Day Celebration Events
- Barbara Bush, 1925-2018
- Former President George W. Bush to be honored at West Point
- George H.W. Bush just became the first former US president to turn 94
- George P. Bush says grandfather's funeral an opportunity to put aside political differences
- Media eulogies spoke highly of George H.W. Bush — and that's how it should be
- Michelle Obama and George W. Bush share a warm moment (and maybe a candy)