Lake Placid is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Winter Olympics. A week of festivities begins Friday evening with a torch run and the lighting of the Olympic cauldron.
It's an important moment for the Adirondack village, which will host the 2023 Winter World University Games. It's also a reminder of the town's place as one of only three resorts to host two Winter Olympics.
The venues from the 1980 Games remain in use for training and national and international competitions. Figure skater Scott Hamilton is among the former Olympians returning for the anniversary.
- Lake Placid celebrates 40th anniversary of Winter Olympics
- 1980 Lake Placid Olympics still resonate four decades later
- Erin Hamlin says goodbye to Lake Placid
- Jumping complex in Lake Placid gets Olympic hopefuls ready for aerial skiing
- Lake Placid hosting 20th Ironman triathlon this weekend
- Empire State Winter Games torch passes through area en route to Lake Placid
- Residents voice concerns about the Remsen to Lake Placid travel corridor
- Clinton holds 40th annual KAC Run & Walk
- Mug Club: 40th Drums Along the Mohawk
- Mug Club: 40th Annual Friendship Craft Festival