COOPERSTOWN – The Otsego County Sheriff’s Office held a news conference Wednesday afternoon to provide an update on a double homicide that took place in the town of Laurens Tuesday night.
Sheriff Richard Devlin says 23-year-old Kevin A. Perry of Laurens is charged with first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of his parents, 59-year-old Timothy A. Perry and 52-year-old Solveige E. Perry.
Devlin says the couple’s daughter found her parents deceased in their home at 400 New Road and called 911 at approximately 8:49 Tuesday night. Deputies say a vehicle was missing from the home, and a “be on the lookout” warning was sent out statewide.
Members of the Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office tried to stop a pickup truck driven by Kevin Perry on Interstate 88, but they say he took off. Perry led deputies on a pursuit which ended when his vehicle crashed near Exit 23. Sheriff Devlin says he's grateful to the observant Scoharie County Deputy who spotted the vehicle.
"Very very grateful. We could still be using our resources trying to track him down."
Police say a long gun was used in the shootings, but there is no word on who owned the gun. Guns were reportedly found in Perry’s vehicle, but police don’t yet know if any of those were the alleged murder weapon. Police say several family members lived in the home at 400 New Road, but that there were no eyewitnesses to the crime.
Police say they are looking into whether drugs or alcohol were involved in the shootings. They say the suspect is not cooperating with investigators and has invoked his right to an attorney. Police have not released a motive for the shootings, but say they have been to 400 New Road before, and are currently searching that response history. A schoolmate of Kevin Perry was less than shocked to learn Perry was being charged with his parents' murder.
"He had a lot of anger issues and he wasn't all there, you could tell," said Woody Vaughan.
The next step in the case will be a felony hearing in Oneonta Town Court sometime within the next week.
- Laurens man charged with murder in shooting deaths of his parents
- Laurens man accused of shooting parents to death still awaiting felony hearing
- Laurens man pleads guilty to shooting parents to death last December
- Felony hearing for Laurens man accused of killing parents
- Laurens man accused of killing parents indicted by grand jury
- Laurens man accused of killing parents pleads not guilty
- Plea deal offered to Laurens man accused of killing parents
- Laurens man sentenced for killing parents in 2017
- Oneonta man charged after 4 emaciated pigs found in Laurens
- Heavy police presence in Laurens