UTICA- Officials with the Utica Fire Department urge residents to learn the difference between legal and illegal fireworks.
Officials with UFD said to read the wording carefully on the package. Chief Fire Marshal Ray Centolella, said the illegal fireworks have a warning label that says "shoots flaming balls." A legal sparkling device/firework will say "caution: emits showers or sparks." Centolella said any projectile is illegal.
He also had some recommendations for when you're done using them. "Leave them alone for about 10-15 minutes, then take them and submerge them in a bucket of water or pour water on top of them," he said. He added they should be disposed of in a metal garbage can.
- Legal vs. illegal fireworks
- Fireworks options
- Authorities seize Illegal fireworks in East Utica Raid
- Ava woman accused of driving unlicensed with illegal fireworks, drug materials
- Fireworks safety: Don't blow it!
- Drones offer safe alternative to fireworks
- Delta Lake postpones fireworks until Monday
- Legalizing Recreational Marijuana in NY
- Local fireworks, parades for the 4th of July
- UPDATE: Police say report of shots fired was actually fireworks