WESTERNVILLE, NY – As snow makes its return to the Northeast, it’s only a matter of time before ski resorts begin to open.
Woods Valley Ski Area is one ski resort hoping to open soon, and has already begun the process of snowmaking.
Owner Tim Woods says in order to create snow, the first step is cold weather.
Combine that with compressed air and high pressure water and you’ve got the perfect mix to create a winter wonderland!
Woods says there's a lot of preparation that goes into actually creating the snow.
"It's a lot of maintenance. Once we get into the season there's somebody here pretty much 20 hours a day. The grooming shift starts at midnight or 2:00 in the morning and finishes up just as we're opening. So it's a pretty active place all winter long."
Along with skiing for fun, the ski area also offers ski lessons, snow tubing, and season passes.
The target date for the ski area to open is early December.
- Let it snow: Snow-making is in full effect at Woods Valley Ski Area
- Snow, snow, snow
- Woods Valley opens early
- First lake effect snow in the books
- Lake effect snow squalls expected Saturday
- Major lake effect snow for the Tug
- Local snow emergencies in effect today
- Heavy, wet snow hits the Mohawk Valley
- County breakdown of Mohawk Valley snow emergencies
- Snow emergency takes effect in Utica, Yorkville Friday night