Saturday is National Prescription Drug Take Back Day, and many local police departments will be participating in the event.
The Drug Enforcement Administration’s Take Back Day is an opportunity for people in the community to safely turn in their unused or unwanted prescription drugs. According to the DEA, a total of 912,305 pounds of prescription drugs were collected in last October’s Take Back Day, at 5,321 different collection sites.
"Unused or expired prescription medications are a public safety issue, leading to potential accidental poisoning, misuse, and overdose. Proper disposal of unused drugs saves lives and protects the environment," the DEA's website says.
Take Back Day is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Here is a list of local law enforcement agencies where you can drop off your prescription drugs:
- New Hartford Police Department - 32 Kellogg Rd., New Hartford, NY 13413
- Utica Police Department - 413 Oriskany St. W., Utica, NY 13502
- Hamilton College Campus Safety - 198 College Hill Rd, Clinton, NY 13323
- Kirkland Police Department, at Kinney Drugs - 12 Franklin Ave, Clinton, NY 13323
- Oneida County Sheriff’s Office - 6065 Judd Rd., Oriskany, NY 13424
- Ilion Police Department, at Kinney Drugs - 40 First St., Ilion, NY 13357
- Herkimer Police Department - 120 Green St., Herkimer, NY 13350
- Herkimer County Sheriff’s Office -320 N. Main St., Herkimer, NY 13350
- Sherrill Police Department - 373 Sherrill Rd., Sherrill, NY 13461
- Rome Police Department - 301 N. James St., Rome, NY 13440
- Oneida Indian Nation Police Department, at Turning Stone Casino Event Center Entrance - 5218 Patrick Rd., Verona, NY 13478
- Otsego County Sheriff’s Office - 172 County Highway 33 W., Cooperstown, NY
- Chenango County Sheriff’s Office, at North Norwich Fire Department - 108 Beach Ln., Norwich, NY 13815
- New York State University Police at SUNY Oneonta - Alumni Hall, Oneonta, NY 13820
- Oneonta Police Department - 79 Main St., Oneonta, NY 13820
To search for drug take back locations in other areas, click here.