SEVERE WX : Flash Flood Watch - Flood Advisory View Alerts

Little Falls police confirm accidental gas leak caused explosion

Little Falls police have confirmed that the cause of the explosion and fire on West Main Street Wednesday afternoon was a gas leak.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 2:38 PM

LITTLE FALLS – Little Falls police have confirmed that the cause of the explosion and fire on West Main Street Wednesday afternoon was a gas leak.

Little Falls Assistant Police Chief Ron Petrie says the gas leak and subsequent explosion was accidental in nature, and there was no criminal activity involved. National Grid is also not at fault, police say.

Three people were injured and three homes were destroyed after the fire broke out in the 300 block of West Main Street just after 2 p.m. A dog and cat were also killed in the home where the initial explosion occurred.

People miles away in Ilion and St. Johnsville reported feeling the explosion, which blew out the windows in nearby homes and sent debris flying in the area.

NEWSChannel 2 crews will be meeting with Petrie this afternoon to learn more about the investigation. Tune into the NEWSChannel 2 Live at Five Newshour and NEWSChannel 2 at 6 p.m. for the latest updates.

_____________________________________________

RELATED COVERAGE:

Section of West Main St. in Little Falls partially reopens; power restored

Fire chief: Three injured, no official cause in Little Falls home explosion

UPDATE: Crews remain on scene of Little Falls fire; section of West Main St. closed

Article Comments

Utica
Overcast
71° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 71°
Oneonta
Broken Clouds
77° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 79°
Herkimer
Overcast
71° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 71°
Thendara
Overcast
71° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 60°
Feels Like: 71°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click for Boilermaker Results & Coverage
Click here to learn more about A Healthier Mohawk Valley
Less that 50 Golf Cards left ... only $79.99 for 28 courses
Great California Adventure with Callihan Marshall