Local churches are trying to keep the flu out of the pew.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse sent an email out to their churches this week, asking them to remind people to take caution if they’re sick.
At this time of year, churches are enclosed places with little or no fresh air circulation.
Father Joe Salerno at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Utica will be offering a reminder at mass this upcoming weekend.
"We're asking people who feel sick in any way and especially might have symptoms of flu to especially refrain from receiving Eucharist from what we call the common cup,” Salerno said.
"Obviously if people are sick, we really would discourage them from being present to mass and any celebrations of faith for as long as they're not feeling well.”
The church also has hand sanitizer out as well.
- Local churches encourage caution during flu season
- Early Flu season locally
- Caution : Big Mess
- Earlier flu season expected
- Flu season may get worse
- Church service canceled due to the flu
- Local hospitals enforcing visitor restrictions during flu season
- Pharmacists give flu shot recommendations for upcoming flu season
- Crews urge caution during Herkimer road construction
- Local church welcomes new pastor