"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
The words spoken by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. still resonate with those who attended today's luncheon hosted by the Mohawk Valley Frontiers in honor of MLK Day. The reception was held at the Radisson Hotel on Genesee Street in Utica.
The president of the Mohawk Valley Frontiers says the goal for this yearly event is to continue on the message of Dr. King, and to remind the youth of the Mohawk Valley that even nearly 50 years since his passing, King’s words of civility, truth and acceptance still live on.
“We try to continue his legacy in understanding that we are all here to serve each other, and the purpose of this is to remind people that we still have hope, that we still have a strong belief in character and values that all make us brothers and sisters,” said Jawaad Rasheed, president of the Mohawk Valley Frontiers.
Several Junior Frontiers were also given awards for their academic excellence at today’s luncheon.
- Local community honors MLK at annual luncheon
- Mohawk Valley Frontiers honor MLK with luncheon in his honor
- NYT best-selling author speaks at annual Women's Fund luncheon
- NEWSTALK: Make-a-Wish Luncheon
- Masonic Care Community honors veterans with annual celebration
- Mug Club: Herkimer Co. Chamber Luncheon
- Mug Club: Power of the Purse Luncheon
- Ilion community holds annual 5k race
- Mohawk Valley Community Action Agency hosts annual Community Day
- Progress slow, 50 years after MLK's death