UTICA - Assemblywoman Marianne Buttenschon, who represents the 119th Assembly District, gathered with local school officials and a representative from the Mid-York Library System to announce additional discretionary funding she has secured for area schools.
In a news conference Tuesday morning, Buttenschon said the Mid-York Library System will receive $10,000 for life-long learning and reading programs.
Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES will be distributing money for mental health and security measures, as well as drug abuse prevention programs.
Oriskany will be looking to use funding for tutoring and after school programs for at-risk students.
The Rome City School District will be using their funding to reinstate some early intervention positions and support for substance abuse families.
Whitesboro's school district will use their funds mental health and security measures.
“Many of them again had reconfirmed the importance of mental health training, as well as the prevention of drug use throughout their school districts. Safety was another concern that we had heard with many of them, so they will be looking at it within that sense,” said Buttenschon.
Buttenschon says she was able to secure a total of $430,000 for local school districts, broken down into the following disbursements:
Frankfort-Schuyler Central School District: $10,000
Oriskany Central School District: $10,000
Rome City School District: $325,000
Whitesboro Central School District: $25,000.
Mid York Library System: $10,000
Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES: $50,000.
- Local school districts to receive additonal state funding
- Local libraries to receive construction grants from state funds
- Local refugee center to receive $200,000 in state funds
- Local schools to receive funding to modernize classrooms
- 2 local police agencies receive funds for video interrogation equipment
- Local towns to receive state aid
- Local school districts taking preventative flu measures
- Mohawk Valley to receive $85.5M in state REDC funds
- Local school districts to vote on budgets, school boards today
- Local Congressional Districts Primary Results