HERKIMER, N.Y. – A local woman helped her grandmother discover a family member she didn’t even know existed – and it was all on accident.
Nicole Taylor went on ancestry.com to search for her father and members of his family. After searching the site, she realized she had a great-aunt less than 30 minutes away.
"We figured it out that Joan actually was my great-grandmother's daughter that she put up for adoption," said Taylor.
Joan Linke, of Whitesboro, was adopted in 1936. With Taylor’s help, she now knows she has two sisters living right in Ilion.
Taylor, Linke and other family members met on Nov. 5 at the Denny’s in Herkimer. They all got to know each other by sharing stories and looking at old family photos.
Joan said she thinks her new family is “great,” and Taylor says she’s happy to have found these new branches on her family tree.
- Local woman learns she has family right in the area from ancestry website
- Police seek missing woman traveling to local area from downstate
- Unified Sports: Area students learn importance of athletic inclusion
- Local healthcare workers learn culturally sensitive trauma care
- Local veterans learn to use a cane....for self-defense!
- DA to put all Conley evidence on office website
- State launches new Freedom of Information Law website
- Pro-Cuomo website backfires when GOP challenger buys URL
- Otsego County's website taken offline due to cyber attack
- Cuomo: Pothole portal website vetoed because of the cost