BOONVILLE, N.Y. – Longtime Boonville radio host, George Capron, passed away on Monday at the age of 75.
Capron started his career as a radio personality at WBRV when he was 17 years old, and became known as “The Voice of the North Country.” He also worked for many years at Adirondack Music in Boonville, and was a columnist for the Boonville Herald.
Capron was born in Boonville on Aug. 13, 1944, and graduated from Boonville Central School in the Class of 1962. He also attended Alkins Radio School in Chicago.
Capron spent his life in Boonville and enjoyed being outdoors in the area as a member of the Lost Trails Snowmobile Club, serving in leadership positions for several years.
Friends say Capron was fascinated with weather, especially snowfall, and gathered weather data for most of his adult life.
Outside of reporting news and weather on the radio, the community may recognize Capron from his commentary during the Boonville Fair and Woodsmen’s Field Days parades.
He was also a member of the Boonville Elks where he served as a trustee for many years.
Capron was married to his wife Laurie for nearly 52 years, and they had two sons, Daniel and Christopher.
Calling hours will be Wednesday at the Trainor Funeral Home, 143 Schuyler St., Boonville, from 2 – 6 p.m.
A private service will be held Thursday at the funeral home. Prior to that, there will be a Celebration of Life luncheon at the Boonville Elks Lodge on Route 12 in Boonville at 12:30 p.m.
In honor of Capron’s soft spot for animals, the family is asking people to consider donations to local animal shelters in lieu of flowers.
- Longtime Boonville radio host passes away at 75
- Loved ones, listeners remember longtime radio DJ after unexpected death
- Boonville Snowfest Postponed
- Megamillions ticket worth $3,000,000 sold in Boonville
- Boonville banners will honor North Country Veterans
- Boonville teen, Indiana woman win Boilermaker 5K
- SUV and car collide in Boonville crash
- Boonville pair arrested after meth lab discovery
- Boonville man charged after alleged physical dispute
- Tractor Supply Company coming to Boonville?